HAVE A BLAST AT VIRGINIA TECH OR UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA SUMMER 2015!
Check out this FREE opportunity to interact with other students from Virginia who are interested in the excitement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)!
BLAST will offer a dynamic three-day residential summer experience on the campus of Virginia Tech (VT) and the University of Virginia (UVA) in the summer of 2015. Through innovative hands-on experiences taught by faculty members and staff, students will explore the fun and excitement of STEM while residing on a college campus. BLAST is offered free of charge to students, however, transportation to and from Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia is the responsibility of each family.
Current 8th and 9th grade students from Virginia will have an opportunity to choose from a session at Virginia Tech, July 12-15 or one of two sessions at the University of Virginia, July 26-29 or August 2-5 . Students who have previously participated in BLAST are not eligible to apply.
BLAST is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC), Virginia Tech, the University of Virginia and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Mechanical Engineering: Build a solar car
- Space Science: Build a robot to complete missions on a Martian landscape
- Astronomy: View planets and other celestial objects at the McCormick Observatory
- Chemistry: Identify chemicals in an unknown solution
- Engineering Design: Design and test insulation materials
- And more!
- Earthquake Resistance Structures
- Switchbox Assembly Lab
- Engine Dissection
- Design and build physical prototypes using a variety of sensors, LEDs, and other devices.
- Advanced Engineering Lab
- Towing Basin Tour
- Wind Tunnel Tour
- And more!