About the Program
Fun, Excitement, Innovation
The Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology (BLAST) is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium, Old Dominion University (ODU), University of Virginia (UVA), Virginia Tech (VT) and the Commonwealth of Virginia. The program was funded by the General Assembly with the purpose of increasing the number of high school graduates who pursue STEM careers by increasing students' access to STEM enrichment experiences.
BLAST will offer an exciting on-campus summer STEM experience FREE to participating students. BLAST will bring STEM alive through a series of innovative hands-on sessions led by faculty and staff designed to spark interest in STEM opportunities. Faculty demonstrations will showcase some out-of-the-ordinary science and engineering, with the goal of increasing student curiosity.
Students may apply to attend any ONE of the following sessions in the summer of 2017:
- Session 1: June 18-21 – Old Dominion University
- Session 2: July 16-19 – Virginia Tech
- Session 3: July 23-26 – Virginia Tech
- Session 4: July 30-August 2 – University of Virginia
Who can apply?
Students must meet all of the following qualifications in order to apply:
- Be a current 8th or 9th grade student from a Virginia middle, high, home-school or private school.
- Be a Virginia resident and U.S. Citizen.
- Have at least a C+ average.
- Have a desire to explore STEM opportunities.
- Not have previously attended BLAST.
- Have transportation to and from the university.
All qualified applications will be reviewed by a panel of educators and student selections made for the number of available slots for each university. Geographic and demographic diversity are taken into consideration as well as students who have not had previous access to STEM enrichment experiences.